Butter Bean Salad
There are some days when I just fancy a big plate (or bowl) of salad for my dinner. So I try to come up with kooky recipes using whatever I have in the kitchen.
In case of today’s salad, I fancied a “beany” one and decided to make it out of some butter beans lying around in my store cupboard.
Since I had some frozen french beans, carrots and sweetcorn in my freezer, decided to throw them in along with some pickled purple cabbage.
Addition of celery and raw garlic makes this a very fragrant salad.
an unusual salad combining raw, cooked and pickled ingredients
1 Cup cooked butter beans
1 Cup shredded purple cabbage
1 Cup boiled mixed french beans, carrots and sweetcorn
1 Large onion
1 Head of garlic
2-3 Celery stalks (including leaves)
8-10 Cherry tomato
1-2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
1-2 Teaspoons mustard powder
1/2 Teaspoon wasabi paste (or a few drops of wasabi hot sauce)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- First, we need to pickle the cabbage mixture.
- Peel, wash and finely slice the onions. Separate the strands.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic cloves along their length.
- Put the shredded cabbage, onion stands and sliced garlic in a large bowl.
- Add the white wine vinegar and salt to taste.
- Toss well, cover tightly and let this mixture pickle for 6 to 8 hours.
- When you are ready to prepare the salad, wash, wipe and dice the celery. Chop the leaves, if using.
- Wash and dry the cherry tomato. Slit them from the base leaving them intact (this allows the dressing to penetrate).
- To make the dressing. whisk together the olive oil, juice of lime or lemon, mustard powder, wasabi, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked butter beans. boiled vegetables, celery and cherry tomato to the cabbage mixture.
- Pour over the dressing and toss well before serving.