At times, there are recipes that I concoct which defy categorisation or even label and this is a very good example.
The day I was making it, I was asked by three people what I was having for dinner and I was at a total loss for words. I mean, how do you explain a bowl of mixed mash, which briefly sums up this kooky mess?!
To quote Francois Mauriac, “To love someone is to see a miracle invisible to others.” And that is exactly how I feel about today’s recipe.
a bowl of mashed vegetables may not be to everyone’s taste but I am totally in love with this utterly comforting mess!
1 Medium sweet potato
1 Cup shredded cabbage
1 Large carrot
1 Large onion
1-2 Tablespoons cheddar cheese, crumbled
1 Teaspoons olive oil
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Wash, boil, peel and mash the sweet potato.
- Wash, scrape and finely grate the carrot.
- Peel, wash and finely slice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- When hot, lower the heat and throw in the sliced onions along with salt to taste.
- Mix well, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add the shredded cabbage and grated carrot.
- Once again, cover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover and add the mashed sweet potato, freshly ground black pepper and cheese.
- Mix well and pat the mixture down.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm with some hot sauce.