Salad of Sprouted Fennel Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Mung and Veggies with Chilli Spiked Dressing
Whoever thinks that salads are boring will probably change their mind once they try this delightful salad. Personally speaking, it is one of the best salads I have ever made.
There are two components which have been brought together to create this main course salad meal. The chilli spiked dressing recipe is courtesy a friend and the base is my own concoction.
I had sprouted a mix of moong beans, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds. The fennel seeds provide a nicely fragrant addition to the dish.
Since I was having the salad for dinner, I wanted a bit of raw as well as cooked. But you can use your imagination or whatever is available in your refrigerator. I like to think of it as “anything goes” salad.
Ingredients for the dressing may appear bog-standard but the inclusion of stalks of fresh coriander and a chilli elevate it to a totally different sphere.
A marriage of the two is an utterly divine, refreshing, crunchy, filling and moreish salad.
Ingredients for the Dressing
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1-2 lime or lemon
1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard paste (I used Colemans)
1/2 Teaspoon sugar (I used demerara)
1-2 Heads of garlic
1/2 Cup stalks of fresh coriander
1 Green chilli
Salt to taste
- Peel and mince the garlic (or you can chop it very finely if you prefer a less pungent flavour).
- Wash and finely chop the stalks of fresh coriander.
- Wash and finely slice the chilli.
- Put all the ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously.
- Taste and add a bit of whatever extra you fancy, it is purely personal preference.
Ingredients for the Salad
1 Cup sprouted moong, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds
200 Grams mushroom
1 Green pepper
1/2 Cup leaves of fresh coriander
1 Tablespoon toasted pine nuts
1 Tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
1 Teaspoon olive oil
A pinch of mixed herbs
Salt to taste
- Wash and steam the beetroot for about 10 minutes until tender yet firm.
- Once cool, rub the skin off and slice into matchsticks. Set aside.
- Wash the mushrooms and add them to a hot frying pan along with some mixed herbs, olive oil and a bit of salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover and remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Wash and coarsely grate the carrot. Set aside.
- Wash, de-core, de-seed and finely slice the green pepper along its length. Set aside.
- Peel, wash and finely slice the onion along its length. Separate the strands. Set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the coriander leaves. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, add the sprouts, beetroot, mushroom, carrot, green pepper, onion, coriander leaves, pine nuts and pumpkin seeds.
- Toss well.
- Add the salad dressing.
- Once again bring everything together so that all the vegetables are thoroughly coated with the dressing.
- Enjoy on its own or with some bread.
- You can add/substitute any other vegetables of your choice like lettuce, tomato, broccoli, courgette, sweetcorn – the list is endless…
- If you don’t have pine nuts, try with some toasted walnuts.
- Sunflower seeds can be added instead of pumpkin seeds.