A Very Purple Salad
Here’s a summer friendly salad recipe which can be enjoyed on its own with a glass of white or rosé (and some bread, if you are so inclined).
It is very easy to assemble and doesn’t take much time but it does require a bit of planning since you have to marinate red cabbage, beetroot and onion.
This salad includes uncooked courgette, a first for me. I have recently developed a taste for this vegetable in its raw form (in salads) thanks to a friend.
a beautifully coloured salad which is light yet satisfying
250 Grams red cabbage
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Green Courgette
10-12 Cherry tomato
Juice of 2 lime/lemon
1 Tablespoon vinegar of your choice
1 Tablespoon strong mustard
1 Tablespoon olive oil
A pinch of freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
- Wash and finely slice the red cabbage.
- Peel, wash and halve the onion. Slice in fine rings in half moon shape and separate the rings.
- Wash and steam the beetroot for about 7 to 8 minutes (depending on its size). You want it just a wee bit tender, not cooked.
- Once the beetroot has cooled down, slice it in thick matchstick like shape.
- Take a bowl with a lid. Throw in the sliced cabbage, onion rings and beetroot.
- Add the vinegar, juice of 1 lime or lemon and a pinch of salt.
- Toss well, cover and let this marinate for about 5 to 6 hours.
- When you are ready to assemble the salad, wash and halve the cherry tomato.
- Wash, de-core, deseed and halve the pepper. Finely slice each half.
- Wash and remove both ends of the courgette. Cut it in half and slice it along its length. Slice each halved length into half moon shape.
- In a salad bowl, throw in the pepper, cherry tomato and courgette.
- Add the marinated cabbage, beetroot and onion mixture.
- Add olive oil, mustard, juice of 1 lime or lemon, salt and pepper.
- Toss well and enjoy.