Feta Cheese Spread
This effortless feta spread is an accidental recipe. It is so dead simple that it is not even a recipe. The only reason I am posting it here is because it is utterly divine and delicious and so I feel compelled to share!
I wanted to make a spread to go with some crusty bread rolls. The challenge I had set myself was to make it using whatever I could lay my hands on in the kitchen, strictly no buying of new ingredients.
mashed up feta, olive oil, oregano, hot red chillies and lemon juice gives you an utterly divine cheesy experience
If you can’t get hold of feta cheese, you can make this using fresh paneer. I wouldn’t recommend the ready block of paneer off supermarket shelf which has no taste or character.
Also, you can use this as a template and build on it with some capers, minced garlic, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and/or char-grilled peppers (in which case you will have to adjust the quantity of cheese you use).
Delicious with any kind of crusty bread.
1 Tablespoon crumbled feta
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Teaspoon dried or fresh oregano
2 Hot red chilli
Juice of one lime or lemon
- If you are using fresh oregano, wash and dry it.
- Wash, wipe and slice the chilli.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Enjoy immediately or chill for a couple of hours before having.
- Feta is naturally salty so this spread doesn’t need any additional salt. But if you are making this with paneer, add salt according to taste.