Fragrant Summer Salad of Sprouted Mixed Beans
Today, I am sharing with you another cool salad recipe for a hot summer’s day.
Combination of sprouted mixed beans, cherry tomato, yellow capsicum, onion, iceberg lettuce and avocado have gone into this super duper, easy peasy salad.
made fragrant thanks to a garlicky lemony dressing with mint and basil
I have one of those ready packets of mixed beans containing seven different bean varieties which I soaked for 8 hours and left for sprouting for about 48 hours. You can substitute canned mixed beans if you like (in which case skip the steaming step since canned beans are already cooked).
This salad is best made ahead of time and chilled for a few hours before having.
1 Cup mixed beans, sprouted
1 Medium ripe avocado
1 Yellow Capsicum
1 Large white or red onion
10-12 Cherry tomato
1 Small head of iceberg lettuce
1/4 Cup fresh mint leaves
1/4 Cup fresh basil leaves
1 Head of garlic
Juice of 2 lime/lemon
2 Tablespoons red wine or cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Salt to taste
- Steam the sprouted mixed beans for 10 minutes till they are tender yet firm (skip this step if using canned beans). Set aside to cool down completely.
- Wash, dry and shred the iceberg lettuce.
- Wash, de-core, de-seed and finely slice the yellow capsicum.
- Wash and split the cherry tomato in half.
- Peel, wash and finely slice the onion into half moon shape. Separate the rings.
- Wash, dry and coarsely chop the mint and basil leaves.
- Peel and grate the garlic.
- Juice the lime/lemon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, juice of lime/lemon, red wine vinegar or cider vinegar, grated garlic and salt to taste.
- Add the chopped mint and basil leaves to the salad dressing and set aside.
- Take a large salad bowl and throw in the cooled down beans, shredded lettuce, sliced yellow capsicum, halved cherry tomato and sliced onion.
- Toss well so that all the ingredients are mixed.
- Add the salad dressing and toss well once more.
- Now, peel and cube the avocado and add it to the salad.
- Mix one final time, cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
- Bring it down to room temperature about 30 minutes before eating.