Greek Style Salad
Here’s another incredibly quick and simple salad that can be assembled in very little time.
The reason I have inserted the word ‘style’ in the title (as opposed to simple Greek Salad) is because I have added iceberg lettuce which is not part of the traditional recipe.
Surprisingly, iceberg lettuce has plenty of health benefits so I don’t mind veering from the authentic for some additional nutrition. Also, since I was having this as a main meal salad, I needed something to bulk it up a bit without making the salad too heavy.
cooling, light and easy summer salad
A couple of points on the ingredients… You can adjust the amount of Feta cheese according to personal taste. The quantity I have given is what I weighed and added to make sure that I didn’t go overboard with it (a moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips and all that!).
As for the onions, I used them “as is” but if you find raw onions too sharp, you can douse them in some vinegar for about 30 minutes before squeezing out all moisture and adding to the salad.
Talking of vinegar, I don’t have any red wine vinegar (traditionally added) so used cider vinegar instead and it tasted just as good. I wouldn’t suggest using plain white vinegar though.
1 Small head iceberg lettuce
1 Medium size cucumber
2 Red onions
2-3 Ripe tomato (or 10-12 cherry tomato)
1 Green pepper
10-15 pitted, black, olives
70 Grams Feta cheese
2 Tablespoon red wine OR cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lime or lemon
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Teaspoon dry oregano OR 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
2-3 Cloves garlic
Salt to taste
- First prepare the dressing.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- In a bowl (or a jar), mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, crushed garlic, oregano and salt to taste. Keep aside.
- Wash, dry and coarsely chop the lettuce.
- Peel, wash and finely slice the onion in half moon shape. Separate the sliced rings.
- Wash and slice the cucumber in half moon shape to match the onions.
- Wash and dice the tomato. (If using cherry tomato, wash and slice in half.)
- Wash, de-core, de-seed and chop the green pepper.
- Add the lettuce, onions, cucumber, tomato, green pepper, pitted olives and crumbled feta to a large salad or mixing bowl.
- Toss all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the salad dressing and, once again, toss well.
- Chill for a couple of hours before serving.