Pumpkin & Moong Bean Sprout Idli
If we go by some of the popular search engines, there is no recipe out there for idlis made from pumpkin and moong bean sprouts. So I like to think of this as one of my kooky inventions.
I may be wrong, the search engines may be wrong… If anybody has tried this combination before, would love to read about your experience.
My relationship with moong bean sprouts is quite rocky. There will be days and months when they are totally off my radar and than suddenly they appear and I end up sprouting a batch to last me through several recipes.
Now it is the turn of idlis. I still have a couple more recipes in which I will be using them after which we will be saying a temporary adios to each other!
A totally successful experiment worth repeating and an easy and fun way of incorporating more vegetables.
soft, fluffy, delicious and very healthy idlis
The following assumes you have some fermented idli batter and moong bean sprouts ready.
Depending on the size of your idli moulds, this will make about 8 to 10 idlis.
1 Cup fermented idli batter
150 Grams pumpkin
1 Cup moong bean sprouts
2 Tablespoons quick cooking oats
1-2 Teaspoons pure ghee
Salt to taste
- Peel, wash and finely grate the pumpkin.
- In a bowl, combine the fermented idli batter with grated pumpkin, moong bean sprouts, quick cooking oats and salt to taste.
- Grease idli moulds with pure ghee.
- Pour the batter in the moulds and steam for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Take out the idlis and leave them aside for about 5 minutes before unmoulding.
- Enjoy with some coconut chutney.