Summer Salad of Mixed Sprouts & Vegetables
Here’s another salad that can be put together in a jiffy. The beauty of this recipe lies in its flexibility.
The salad can be enjoyed warm or cold; you can use whichever vegetables you have on hand and you can also substitute canned beans for mixed sprouts.
It is a main meal salad which doesn’t need any accompaniment (except, perhaps, a glass of wine!).
simple yet delicious cool salad for a warm summer evening
1/2 Cup mixed sprouts OR canned/boiled beans of your choice
50 Grams sweetcorn kernel
100 Grams french beans
1 Large, chunky, carrot
2 White onion
1 Yellow or green courgette
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon strong mustard
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
Juice of one lime or lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste
- Peel, wash and thinly slice the onion in half moon shape. Put it in a salad bowl. If you are using canned/boiled beans, you can add them to the onion at this stage. Cover and set aside.
- Top and tail the french beans and wash them.
- Wash the sweetcorn kernel.
- Wash and slice the courgette in chunks.
- Wash and slice the carrot in chunks.
- Place the french beans, sweetcorn, courgette and carrot in a steamer basket.
- Add mixed sprouts if using.
- Steam the sprouts and vegetables for 7 to 8 minutes till they become tender but retain a bite.
- While the steamer is working away, prepare the salad dressing.
- In a bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, cider vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Check for taste and add a bit more of whatever you fancy.
- Once the vegetables and sprouts are cooked, add them to the bowl in which the onions are sitting.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss well.
- You can either enjoy the salad while it is still warm or refrigerate till you are ready to eat.