Egg Salad in Low Fat Creamy Dressing
As it is beginning to get a wee bit warmer, my mind is turning to different types of salads from raw to cooked to a mix of both.
Today’s egg salad recipe falls in the latter category.
it has something cooked, something raw and something in between
Although I like to eat healthy, I avoid low calorie alternatives like artificial sweetener, margarine or diet cheese.
The only exception is mayonnaise. I tend to keep a low fat jar of it in my kitchen. Not sure why I do so; it is not as if I eat loads of the stuff. But as Bernard DeVoto wrote, “The mind has its own logic but does not often let others in on it”!
To go with today’s egg salad, I created a calorie conscious creamy dressing by combining low fat yoghurt with a dollop of “lite” mayonnaise. I like to think of it as a guilt free dressing since it offers a mayonnaise-y taste without the associated calories.
the dressing can also be used as a dip for crackers, bread sticks or crudités
The salad is quite substantial and can be had on its own for a meal full of goodness and comfort.
1 Small beetroot
100 Grams french beans
100 Grams sweetcorn kernel
1 Small head of iceberg lettuce
1 Small cucumber
3 Tablespoons low fat yoghurt
1 Tablespoon lite/diet/low fat mayonnaise
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
1-2 Teaspoons olive oil
1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt to taste
- First make the salad dressing. In a bowl, combine the yoghurt, mayonnaise, oil, cider vinegar, mustard and paprika.
- Mix well, check for salt and if you feel it needs a bit, add according to taste.
- Set aside or make ahead and refrigerate.
- Hard boil the eggs. Once cool, peel and quarter them.
- Wash and steam the beetroot till tender but firm. It should have a bite to it, not overcooked.
- Once the beetroot has cooled down, remove the skin, halve it and slice each half (you will end up with half moon shape). Set aside.
- Top and tail the french beans.
- Wash the sweetcorn kernel.
- Steam the french beans and sweetcorn for about 5 to 7 minutes. Don’t over-steam the beans, they should be slightly crunchy.
- Wash and dry the lettuce. Shred it.
- Wash the cucumber, halve it and slice along its width in half moon shape.
- Peel, wash and finely slice the onion separating the rings.
- In a big bowl, add the lettuce, cucumber, onion, french beans, sweetcorn kernels and eggs.
- Toss well and add the salad dressing. Mix thoroughly so that the salad is coated with the creamy dressing.
- Transfer to a plate or a bowl and place the sliced beetroot on the outskirts.
- Enjoy as is or chill and have.