Non-dairy Creamy Pasta with Oats, Mushroom & Avocado
Haven’t had pasta for quite a while and fancied a comforting bowl of creamy macaroni with mushrooms.
The earlier me would have made it with the classic béchamel sauce but the kooky me of today will not consider that option.
So I was wondering how to make a creamy sauce without butter, milk and flour and hit upon two healthy alternatives to get the velvety texture: instant oats and avocado.
even for those on a low carb diet, pasta with oats, mushroom, avocado, pepper and tomato is a nourishing dish
One cup of béchamel sauce has approximately 280 calories. Ouch!
Creamy oats and avocado help make the sauce luscious and rich without the calories of a conventional white sauce. Sure, avocado is calorific but it has good calories and is very low in saturated fat (the same can’t be said about béchamel sauce which is high in saturated fat).
I cooked this pasta using the absorption method to avoid unnecessary washing-up. Absorption method involves cooking the pasta along with sauce rather than boiling it separately and adding it at the end. The other advantage of cooking this way is that it makes the sauce quite creamy.
The best part is that when you are eating this, you don’t even realise that it has oats in it. So this one’s for keeps.
1/2 Cup dried pasta (short variety like macaroni or penne or farfale)
2-3 Tablespoons instant/quick cooking oats
1 Small, ripe avocado
200 Grams button mushroom
1 Yellow Pepper
10-12 Cherry tomato
1 Pod garlic
1 Stock cube (vegetable or chicken)
1-2 Tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
1-2 Teaspoons olive oil
Salt to taste
Grated parmesan to serve
- Wash and chop the yellow pepper.
- Wash/wipe and halve the mushroom.
- Wash the cherry tomato.
- Peel, wash and chop the onion.
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Lower the heat and add the onion, garlic and salt to taste.
- Stir, cover and let this cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover and throw in the pepper and cherry tomato.
- Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover and add the dry pasta. Stir for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the mushroom, oats, hot sauce (if using) and stock cube.
- Add 2.5 cups of water, mix thoroughly and turn the heat to high.
- Once it starts boiling, lover the heat, cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- While it is cooking, peel and finely dice the avocado.
- After 12 minutes (or once the pasta is cooked), add the diced avocado, stir, cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it sit for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a pasta bowl and sprinkle the grated parmesan.
- Enjoy hot.
- Hot sauce is optional but it gives the dish a nice lift. I used my homemade one but you can use bottled sauce.