Egg Bhurji with Vegetables
I had some french beans and sweetcorn kernel lying around in the refrigerator (from the quinoa dinner) and was wondering how to use them up when I hit upon the idea of combining them with eggs.
eggs scrambled with vegetables makes for a very nutritious and delicious “fast food” experience
The addition of onion, tomato, sweetcorn and french beans means this quick meal easily provides your four of five-a-day.
This is the first time I have included vegetables (apart from the ubiquitous onion and tomato) in egg bhurji. I loved the end result so much that, in the future as well, I will throw in a couple of vegetables when making this spicy scrambled egg dish.
If you want to try it, use the recipe as a template for any vegetables you may have lying around.
Goes very well with any type of bread like roti, tortilla, naan, sliced, roll and even on toast.
1/2 Cup French beans, chopped
1/2 Cup sweetcorn kernel
2-3 Green chilli
A piece of fresh ginger, the size of your thumb
1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Teaspoon chilli powder
1 Teaspoon cumin powder
1 Teaspoon coriander powder
1 Teaspoon garam masala
1 Tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
- Peel, wash and finely chop the onion.
- Wash and chop the tomato.
- Wash and slice the green chilli.
- Peel, wash and finely grate the ginger.
- Wash the french beans and sweetcorn kernels.
- In a small bowl, add the powdered spices: turmeric, chilli, coriander, cumin and garam masala. Cover and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- When hot, lower the heat and add the chopped onion, tomato, chilli and ginger.
- Add salt to taste and the powdered spice mix.
- Stir well, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Uncover, add the french beans and sweetcorn kernel along with a couple of tablespoons of water.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
- Uncover and gently break the eggs over the vegetable mixture.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes till the eggs turn white and the yolk is a bit runny.
- Uncover and (again, gently) stir the eggs into the vegetables. Try and retain chunks of eggs instead of breaking them up completely.
- Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Take the pan off the stove and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
- Enjoy hot.