Purple Yam, Aubergine & Green Pea Curry
As summer peaks its head from around the corner, it is time to say au revoir to green garlic, fresh turmeric and purple yam.
here is a quick, simple and delicious vegetable curry which is easily adaptable to what’s available or in your kitchen
I made it in under an hour while enjoying The Soul Of Motown. I love Gladys Knight & The Pips’ version of I Heard It Through The Grapevine, what do you think (in at 17:09)?
But I digress…
Coming back to today’s recipe, you can use white or sweet potato instead of yam. Substitute green peas with any other type of fresh beans or even dried beans. As for the aubergine, I used the small black variety but, again, you can use the type which is fresh and/or in season.
Will go well with roti, bread roll or even tortilla.
150 Grams purple yam
150 Grams aubergine
1 Cup Green peas
3-4 cloves Garlic
1 Cup fresh coriander
1 Tablespoon grated coconut (dessicated will also do)
1 Teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
1 Teaspoon asafoetida
1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
1 Tablespoon cumin powder
1 Tablespoon coriander powder
1 Tablespoon minced green chillies
1 Tablespoon grated ginger
Salt to taste
1 Tablespoon oil
- Peel, wash and cube the purple yam into medium sized pieces.
- Wash the green peas.
- Wash and cube the aubergine and leave it in water to prevent it from turning black.
- Chop and wash the coriander leaves.
- Peel the garlic and lightly smash the cloves with the knife.
- Heat oil in a wok-like pan.
- Once it is hot, lower the heat to minimum and add the carom seeds followed by the asafoetida. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the smashed garlic cloves and beat them with the back of the spoon (they will break easily).
- Stir for a minute.
- Add the purple yam, aubergine, green peas along with half cup of water.
- Toss in the turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, chilli, ginger, coconut, coriander and salt to taste.
- Mix well, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, uncover to check whether the vegetables are cooked. If so, take off the stove. If not, cover and cook for 5 t o10 more minutes.
- Enjoy hot.