today’s salad is very comforting and flexible
Barley, beans and vegetables enveloped in a garlicky tahini and yoghurt dressing provides a very comforting one pot meal.
My recipe involves unhulled barley, kidney beans, broccoli, yellow pepper, cherry tomatoes and onions.
You can use chickpea, broad bean, cannellini or any other variety of beans you have handy. I used raw kidney beans which were soaked and cooked before being added. You can use canned beans if it is easier.
Similarly, you can use hulled, pot or pearl barley. Even quinoa or other grains would work well.
As for vegetables, the possibilities are endless. Use whatever is seasonal, fresh and cheap. Most vegetables would make a suitable match for the dressing.
Ingredients for the Garlicky Dressing
100 Grams plain yoghurt
1 Tablespoon tahini
1 Pod garlic
Salt to taste
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Whisk the yoghurt and tahini till they are blended.
- Add the crushed garlic and salt to the yoghurt and tahini mixture.
- Mix well and refrigerate.
Ingredients for the Salad
250 Grams brocolli
10 Cherry tomatoes
1 Yellow pepper
3 small onions
3 – 4 tablespoons cooked beans
2 – 3 tablespoons cooked barley
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Juice of 2 limes or lemons
Salt to taste
- Wash and chop the broccoli into medium size pieces.
- Wash, de-seed, de-core and chop the pepper into medium size pieces.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes.
- Peel, wash and halve the onions.
- Put all the vegetables, beans and barley in a container which has tight fitting lid.
- Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pour this marinade over the vegetable-bean mixture.
- Mix well, cover and let this sit for 4 to 5 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, heat a wide based non-stick frying pan.
- When it is hot, add the vegetable-bean mixture along with marinade juices.
- Cook on high heat for 7 to 10 minutes till the vegetables are cooked through.
- Take off the heat and after about 5 minutes, add the garlicky dressing.
- Mix well ensuring that the dressing coats all the vegetables, beans and barley.
- Serve while it is still warm.
I had soaked and boiled the unhulled barley in a pressure cooker. Drank the barley water!
The garlicky dressing is very simple to make and would make a yummy dip.