the humble tomato soup gets a lift thanks to fennel seeds and ginger
As I progress with my alternate day soup regime, I fancied a warming, creamy tomato soup and was wondering what to use as an alternative to cream. That’s when I thought of adding some sweet corn kernels.
Additionally, I had some water chestnut lying around and so decided to make us of them as well.
The end result is a really nice, full-bodied (can a soup be described so?!), creamy tomato soup which is low in calorie and very satisfying. Fennel seeds and ginger provide the heady aromatic touch.
I had this soup with turnip croutons.
another kooky recipe from my kooky imagination for my kooky readers
250 Grams tomato
2 Tablespoons sweetcorn kernel
3 – 4 Water chestnuts (optional)*
2 Tablespoons fennel seeds
1 Tablespoon grated ginger
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Salt to taste
- Wash and chop the tomatoes.
- Wash the sweetcorn kernels.
- Peel, wash and chop the water chestnuts (if using).
- Put the tomatoes, sweet corn kernels, water chestnuts, fennel seeds, ginger and salt in a pot (pot number 1) along with 2 cups of water.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Now take another big pot (pot number 2) and place a fine mesh strainer over it. Pour the contents of pot number 1 into the strainer. Retain the liquid collected in pot number 2.
- Once the vegetables cool down, puree them in a blender or a food processor.
- Add this puree to the liquid in pot number 2.
- Stir well, place on a low heat and gently simmer. If you find that it needs more water, you can add it at this stage.
- Taste for salt.
- Transfer to a soup bowl, sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve piping hot.
- Water chestnuts is optional. If you can’t get hold of them, you can add 6 – 8 cashews. Or you can skip the nuts altogether. The sweetcorn will still give the soup a nice body.
These are the water chestnuts I used. They remind me of oysters!
This is the vegetable base.
Boiling the vegetables. Would look pretty on a dishcloth, no?!
Vegetables Cooked for Fat Free Fennel and Ginger Scented Creamy Tomato Soup
- Ingredient Spotlight: Fennel (williams-sonoma.com)