As temperatures continue to dip, a comforting bowl of hot soup is enough to warm the cockles of your heart.
I am sure everybody has their own version of the classic chicken noodle soup. Many require you to cook dry noodles in the chicken stock.
My version is a tad different. While making Green Noodles, I had cooked extra noodles specially to create this recipe. While serving, I placed the cooked noodles in a soup bowl over which I ladled the hot broth of chicken and vegetables. The end result is a reassuring and satisfying soup full of flavour and fragrance.
who knew that a ménage à trois could be so congenial
Of course, there is no right or wrong way of doing this. You can cook dry noodles in the broth along with the vegetables if you prefer. In fact, this will probably give them extra flavour.
So let’s warm up with today’s flavourful broth of chicken and vegetables over some cooked noodles.
One cup cooked noodles*
300 Grams chicken parts on the bone
3 Cups water
4-5 Stalks celery (including leaves, if available)
150 Grams mushrooms
1/2 Packed cup fresh parsley
1-2 Stalks lemongrass (Optional)
One tablespoon oil
A generous pinch of freshly pounded peppercorns
Salt to Taste
- First, we need to cook the chicken and make the stock.
- Peel and wash one onion. Halve it
- Peel and wash 2 stalks of celery.
- Wash the lemongrass.
- In a pan, place the chicken and the water along with the onion, celery, lemongrass, bay leaves and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat and let it simmer for one hour.
- Place a strainer over a large pot. At the end of the hour, pour the contents of the pan into the strainer. The large pot under it will collect the chicken stock.
- When cool to handle, discard the vegetables and bay leaves.
- Take the chicken pieces and separate the flesh from the bones.
- Throw away the bones.
- Now, peel, wash and chop the second onion.
- Dice the remaining celery.
- Wash and chop the parsley.
- Wash and chop the carrots.
- Wash (or wipe) and halve the mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a soup pot (or equivalent).
- Add the chopped onion and celery. Add some salt to taste.
- Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chicken stock. At this stage, check the quantity of the liquid. It should be enough. If not, you can add some water.
- Bring to boil and add the carrots and mushroom along with chopped parsley and pounded black pepper.
- Lower the heat and cook for 8 minutes.
- After this time, add the cooked chicken pieces, cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Place noodles in a bowl and pour the hot broth over them.
- Serve hot.
- If you don’t have boiled noodles ready, you can add dry noodles along with the chicken and cook according to the time on the packet.
- Lemongrass is optional. We have some growing in our kitchen window so I decided to throw it in for the stock.
This is what my chicken stock looked like once it was cooked and strained.
Pictorial of the simple steps involved in cooking this broth.
- Vegetarian Chicken Noodle Soup (domesticallyblissful.com)