I hadn’t prepared anything for last night’s dinner because I was supposedly going for a Thanksgiving dinner. Turns out I had got my dates mixed up – doh!!! So had to come up with something quick to cook yet healthy and this is the end result.
Think of it as a balanced meal: balance of colours (white, purple, orange, yellow, red and green) and balance of carbs, protein and vegetables.
This salad is very easy to make and you can substitute with whatever is fresh, available or you have in your refrigerator.
have it as soon as it is cooked to enjoy a warm winter salad or chill and serve during summer months
8-10 Cherry tomatoes
0.5 cup Sweetcorn kernels
1.5 cups French beans
A couple of handfuls of salad leaves (I used amaranth, hence purple)
1 Tablespoon mayonnaise (I used the diet kind)
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard (I used Colemans)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Juice of half lemon or lime
1-2 Teaspoons freshly ground black peppercorns
Salt to taste
- Wash the potatoes and steam them for 15 minutes or till soft. Once done, cut them in two. I had left the skin on, you can peel them if you like.
- Wash the french beans, snap them in half and steam them. Wash sweetcorn kernels. Steam the corn and beans together for 10 minutes or till just tender. I have a double decker steamer so I had put potatoes in one deck and french beans and sweetcorn in another and steamed them all together in one go.
- Wash and dry the salad leaves.
- Wash and coarsely grate the carrots.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Put the salad leaves on a serving plate.
- Mix together the potatoes, french beans, sweet corn, carrots and cherry tomatoes along with the dressing.
- Put this salad on top of the leaves and enjoy.
serve with a glass of full-bodied red wine
- Layered Sweet Potato, Mushroom and Avocado Salad (mystorecupboardrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Potato Salad Recipe (food.com)
- Easy Healthy Meals Don’t Need a Recipe Book (healthylifestylesuccess.com)